Everytime I do make-up for a wedding, some of the most common questions I get are… “Will my eyeliner last even after I cry?” “Will my eyeliner smudge throughout the night?” Here’s my answer, “Nope, you are all good!”
Just to put it to the test, I decided to test 3 eyeliners which I’ve used on clients in the past:
1. Maybelline New York’s Unstoppable Eyeliner – Onyz – $9
Waterproof liner glides on to define your eyes effortlessly for ultra-smooth application.
- Smudge-proof, stay-put formula won’t budge until you want it to
- Self-sharpening packaging swivels up and down so point is always sharp and ready to define
- Safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers, ophthalmologist-tested
2. Mac’s Fluidline – Blacktrack – $18
Ultra-smooth, Fluidline’s gel formula provides the precision of a liquid liner with a silkier, softer finish. Goes on “foolproof” with a brush in an easy dip-and-stroke action. Long-wearing. Smudge-proof. Lines up in a rich array of colours and finishes. Brush sold separately.
3. Urban Decay’s 24/7 – Zero -$17
The best Eye Pencil ever, ever, ever! Never before has a pencil this creamy and brilliant been waterproof, too. Velvety-soft, this never-before-seen formula stays soft and creamy for blending (about 30 seconds), then dries down to a long-lasting finish that WILL NOT budge.
Experiment: I swiped these three eyeliners on my hand. Let it dry for about 20 min. Ran warm water on my finger and swiped it on all three lines putting light pressure on it.
- Swiped the three eyeliners on my hand.
- Let it set for 20 min.
- Wet my finger with warm water
- With light pressure, rubbed my wet finger on one line 10 times.
- Repeated two more times for the other two lines.
All three liners stayed intact. No smudging, no fade in colour!
1. Maybelline New York’s Unstoppable Eyeliner – Onyz
2. Mac’s Fluidline – Blacktrack
3. Urban Decay’s 24/7 – Zero (I purposely smudged the line within 30 seconds after applying – just as advertised. Did not smudge further after wetting it)
4. Urban Decay’s 24/7 – Zero
Factors to consider:
- It wasn’t humid in the room I was conducting my experiment in. Depending on the temperature, it might alter the result.
- I didn’t set the eyeliner with black eyeshadow. Setting your liner with eyeshadow helps the liner last even longer.
- The result may differ when tested on the water line.
- I ran my swiped hand under the running warm water and tried smudging it with my finger….there was a very littlye to none of fading therefore the smudging wasn’t obvious.
These three eyeliners definitely holds true to what they advertise. Did not smudge until I forced it and even so, it was not noticeable.
When I first swiped the three liners, I noticed MAC’s Fluidline (Blacktrack) was the most bold and the Maybelline and UD liner were just about the same. UD liner definitely did stay soft and creamy for a while (just like what it said in the description), which allows you to create a smudged smokey look if desired. I’ve been using Mac’s Fluidline for years and when I get feedback from clients, they say their liner has lasted all day. I have personally tried all three and I like Mac’s Fluidline the best.