If you are like me, you would love to appear above the clear turquoise waters exactly as how you entered: fresh-faced and makeup right where you applied it! But many of you know, this is rarely the case! Even if you avoid the water, after spending a day outdoors in the hot, humid weather, makeup can transfer or melt off.
Here are some tips for waterproof, sweat-proof, sun-proof beauty:
- To prevent your skin from getting shiny on a hot day, wear a primer or matifyer, such as, Make Up For Ever All Mat primer. To protect your skin from the harsh UV rays, wear an oil-free moisturizer with SPF, such as Marcelle Essentials Oil-Free Multi-Defense Lotion SPF 15. Sometimes I like to mix the SPF moisturizer in with my foundation for a sheer foundation coverage with the UV protection.
- If you’re spending the day in the water, I would recommend Make Up For Ever Aqua Shadow in #22E and #28E. Cream eyeshadows will definitely last longer than powder in the water. And say goodbye to raccoon eyes with Make Up For Ever Aqua Black Waterproof Cream Eyeshadow. I have used this as eyeliner and it survived during both my hot yoga classes and swimming sessions!
- Wear a lip balm with SPF. My new favourite is Carmex Moisture Plus with SPF 15. But if you decide to wear lipstick, choose a matte formula such as Rimmel London Lasting Finish by Kate.
- Set your makeup with a setting spray, such as Urban Decay All Nighter Longer-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray.
- If you’ve started sweating, touching up your face with powder can cause clogged pores. Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets are a better way to reduce the shine: just dab the blotting sheet over areas that tend to get oily.
|TRIED, TESTED, AND TRUE |
- Carmex Moisture Plus with SPF 15
- Marcelle Essentials Oil-Free Multi-Defense Lotion SPF 15
- Make Up For Ever All Mat Primer
- Make Up For Ever HD Foundation in “#153”
- Make up For Ever Aqua Brow Waterproof Eyebrow Corrector in “#25”
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Black Waterproof Cream Eyeshadow
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Shadow in “#22E and #28E”
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream in “#06”
- Urban Decay All Nighter Longer-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray
- Rimmel London Lasting Finish by Kate in “#110”
Makeup application for weddings is slightly different compared to your everyday makeup. The wedding day, whether it’s your special day or someone else’s close to you, is a busy and long-filled day. Whether you are getting your makeup done by an artist or DIYing it yourself, here are some tips to ensure you get the best wearing power from your look:
- Take care of your skin leading up to the wedding day: drink lots of water, exfoliate, tone and moisturize.
- For hot spring/summer wedding days, to ensure your foundation doesn’t melt off your face, apply a face primer, like Cover FX Skin Prep Nourishing Foundation Primer. Not only does this act as a great base for a smoother foundation application, it keeps the oils in for a long lasting finish.
- To avoid eye shadow from creasing due to the oils and heat, apply an eyelid primer to your eyes, Urban Decay Primer Potion. This increases the staying power of your eye shadow as well as makes the colours more vibrant.
- Stay away from too much shimmer on the eyes, face, and lips. It’s not flattering in photos.
- If you know you will get teary-eyed throughout the event, waterproof products are the way to go. Try using Make Up For Ever Waterfproof Cream Eyeshadow in “Aqua Black” as your eyeliner and L’Oréal Waterproof Volumunious mascara to pump up your lashes.
- To avoid applying your lipstick too many times throughout the day, fill your lips in with lip liner to use as the lipstick base, L’Oreal Colour Riche Anti-Feathering Lip Liner. Apply a matte lipstick over it to increase the wear, Rimmel London Lasting Finish by Kate. Remember to moisturize your lips before applying the lip products; this will help prevent your lips from drying out.
- To keep your makeup looking fresh all day, set it with a setting spray, Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Spray.
- If you have an excellent makeup application, all you need to pop in your clutch is a lipstick and blotting sheets, Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets for minimal touch-ups throughout the day!
- Remember, your makeup should only be an enhanced version of yourself. You want to look and feel beautiful and still look like YOU!
- Cover FX Skin Prep Nourishing Foundation Primer & Anti-Aging Serum
- Make Up For Ever HD Foundation “#155”
- Lise Watier Portfolio Correctors in “Light”
- Make Up For Ever HD Powder
- Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Spray
- Urban Decay Primer Potion in “Eden”
- Shiseido Silky Eyeshadow Quad in “Q10 Desert Winds”
- Stila Smoky Eye Palette in “Black Shadow”
- Make Up For Ever Waterproof Cream Eyeshadow in “Aqua Black”
- L’Oreal Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner in “Black”
- Smashbox Eyebeam Double-ended Brightener
- Ardell False Lashes in “#128”
- DUO Lash Adhesive Waterproof
- L’Oreal Waterproof Voluminous Mascara
- Benefit Bronzer in “Hoola”
- M.A.C Blush in “Dainty”
- Estée Lauder Shimmering Jewel Powder
- EOS Lip Balm
- L’Oreal Colour Riche Anti-Feathering Lip Liner in “All About Pink”
- Rimmel London Lasting Finish by Kate in “102”
I have been asked to be a part ofwww.fashionmagazine.com‘s Beauty Panel team which launched on March 7, 2013!
What is the Beauty Panel?
It’s a team of Canadian Beauty Bloggers who answer questions about make-up, hair, and nail polish!
The first question is:
Mine is what I call, the “No Make-up” make-up look!
A look that is very natural, easy-to-do, and presentable for a day in the office
Moisturizer – Embryolisse – Lait Crème Concentrè
Foundation – NARS Firming Foundation in Syracuse
Concealer – MAC Select Moisturecover in NW30
Powder – MAKE-UP FOREVER HD Microfinish Powder (set under-eye concealer) & MAC Blot Powder in Dark (face)
Bronzer – Annabelle Perfect Bronze in Sun Goddess
Blush – MAC in Gingerly
Primer – Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden
Eyeshadow – MAC Malt and Shroom
Eyeliner – Annabelle Kohl Eyeliner in Brown
Mascara – MARCELLE Power Volume Mascara in Black
Lip balm – Aveeno Essential Moisture Lip Conditioner in SPF
Lipstick – Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Voluptè SPF 15 in Beige Ultimate (#3)
As many of you beauty bloggers/lovers know, IMATS Toronto is coming up in one week! (Yay!)
A few of you have been asking about the Make-up Forever Flash Palette and buying it at IMATS would be the perfect time to get it! Make-up Forever will be offering a discount of 40% off their products — an offer that you cannot pass up!
I mentioned on Twitter that I have the palette and purchased it back during IMATS Toronto 2009 (blog post here). Buying the MUFE Flash Palette was at the top of my IMATS 2009 list as I heard many great things about it and it’s a must have in a make-up artist’s kit!
Prior to purchasing the MUFE Flash Palette, I was considering similar palettes from other brands such as, Ben Nye’s Lumiere palette and Kryolan Supra Colour palette. I walked around IMATS swatching and comparing prices, but the MUFE Flash Palette was the definite winner! It was way more pigmented than the rest.
Take a note book with you so you can record prices, swatch products, and write little notes to compare products. This will help you narrow products down if it’s hard for you to decide!
I mentioned on Twitter that there are certain colours that you cannot use on the eyes and lips. If you look at the back of the palette, it mentions which colours.
As you may notice, it says, “In the USA”. But what about if you purchased it outside of the US? Does that mean they use different ingredients in the US? I was reading blog posts about this and people’s assumptions were that maybe it’s because it dyes the skin. However, rather than assuming, I thought I should just ask the source — I emailed Make-up Forever.
Make-up Forever replied back to me in a timely manner (which I really appreciated) and this is what they have to say:
So what I gather from this is that the palettes sold in Canada, USA, and any other countries have the same ingredients and formulation. It’s just in the US they have regulations that are more strict which means they may have to state in their packaging which colours should not be used on certain parts of the face. It is probably because these colours will most likely temporarily stain your skin. But I guess it’s really up to you and use it at your own discretion.
I have swatched the colours below so you can see how pigmented the product is (left). I tried to wipe off the product with a no-name wipe and you can see that after a few rubs, some of the colours are still visible. But please keep in mind that I used a no-name wipe and not make-up remover to try to remove the product from my arm.
I’m so sad Prescripvites has annouced that they will be closing all their make-up counters world wide on January 31, 2010. The company will still exist, but you can only make purchases online. They only ship to U.S. residents. (Lucky Americans! Sometimes I wish I lived in the States because it would make online shopping so much easier! 😛 But then I guess I’d be broke! ahaha)
Anyway, it will be difficult for me to part with my all time favourite foundation – Flawless Skin Total Protection Make–up SPF 15
My skin colour got darker after I came back from my trip to the Caribbean so my current Prescriptive foundation in “Beige 09” isn’t a perfect match for me. I currently use Make-up Forever HD Foundation in “155”.
The coverage for this foundation is a medium coverage which I like. It’s also not too dewy and not too matte. I think it’s just right. It makes your skin look natural not cakey. I have a range of colours in my make-up kit which I love to use for weddings. But for personal everyday use, I’d like to find something else. The reason is because there is no SPF in their products. Ladies (and gentlemen) even though it’s winter, you still need to wear SPF on your skin! Shocking right?!
Here’s a little lesson on UVA/UVB rays:
Most people associate wearing SPF only in the hot summer months because it’s sunny…blah blah blah and they want to protect their skin from UVA and UVB rays. But believe it or not, UVA is presesnt all year round. It doesn’t matter what the weather is like and how sunny it is outside. UVA does more damage to your skin than UVB. UVA is responsible for the aging process of your skin. It’s responsible for the elasticity and strength of the skin and its youthful look. While UVB is responsible for giving you that “tanned” look and for creating age spots!! UVB is strongest during the summer as the earth rotates closer to the sun resulting in our skin getting darker if we’re out for a certain amount of time.
Soo…with that said, please wear SPF all year round! 🙂 It’ll keep your skin looking youthful and prevent your skin from aging faster than it should.
I apologize if you didn’t want to read my little lesson! LOL But that is the reason why I don’t like any of the Make-up Forever foundations as an EVERYDAY WEAR as none of them contain any SPF. Their foundations, in my opinion, are more for photoshoots and theatre.
FYI – Foundations with SPF with them create a lighter/whiter film on your face in photographs (white cast). That could be the reason why Make-up Forever does not contain any SPF in it. Well that’s my assumption anyway.
So I’m on the hunt for my new favourite “everyday” foundation. I still have to try Bobbi Brown Luminous Moisturizing in “Natural Tan”. I bought it at a cosmetics warehouse sale for an awesome price! But I’m just waiting for my skin to get a tad bit lighter. What sucks is that this foundation doesn’t contain SPF either! SIGH!
If you guys have a favourite foundation let me know. I’m on a hunt…
(I suppose I can stock up on my Prescriptives foundation before January 31st!! :P)
Thanks for reading! 🙂
So I thought I’d do something a bit more fun and colourful!
But still something you can wear out in public without looking like a CLOWN! ahaha
Products used are:
Make-up Forever eye-shadows (I apologize I don’t have the exact name/number):
MAC Blacktrack Fluidline
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on pencil in Yeyo (white)
MAC Cherish Lipstick
MAC Babied Laquer