When I think of 1990s makeup, I think of Brenda Walsh from the original 90210, Kelly Kapowski from Saved by the Bell, and Daisy (Neve Campbell) from Catwalk— all beautiful women! (Did I just reveal my age?) This week’s inspiration is a bit of Brenda and Daisy mixed together: sexy and sultry with a blend of grunge.
What makes this look? Soft smoky brown eyes and deep red wine lips.
Part of the 1990s beauty trend this season is a focus on the lower lash line. So grab your favourite neutral eye shadow palette—one of my favourites is the Wet ‘n Wild Comfort Zone palette. It’s very pigmented and super affordable!
After you apply eye shadow on your lids:
1. Take a dark brown eye shadow with an eye liner brush and apply it to your lower lash line. Concentrate the colour closest to your lash line and then blend down diffusing the colour.
2. Take a lighter brown eye shadow and apply it slightly under your lower lash line. This will help achieve the gradient smoky affect, going from dark to light.
3. To keep this ’90s look modern, add a lighter colour on the inner corner of your eye to brighten up the look.
4. Apply your favourite mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
If you want to go a step further with the 1990s beauty trend, add a wine-coloured lipstick. This was definitely a staple in Brenda Walsh’s purse!
- Nars Firming Foundation in “Syracuse”
- CoverFX Matte Powder
- M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish in “Dark”
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Shadow Pencil in “22E”
- Wet ‘n Wild Comfort Zone Palette
- Annabelle Kohl Eyeliner in “72 Brown”
- Annabelle Expandable Mascara
- Elizabeth Arden Shadow “Fawn 02”
- M.A.C Lipstick in “Destined”